Accent Reduction: Mindset Tips for Successful Communication (Part 1)
Is this you?
Are you in this situation?
- You’ve been hearing people ask you to repeat yourself for far too long
- You realize that your accent is interferring with your effective communication
- Conversing with people is inefficient and effortful
- You’re ready to learn the accent techniques that will deliver your message the FIRST TIME say it
- You want others to focus on WHAT you say, and not on HOW you say it
Mindset for Accent Reduction Success
Congratulations! Accent reduction will help you achieve your goals. Here’s the caveat. While learning American accent techniques are critical in order to successfully communicate, adapting a mindset will jumpstart your progress in the beginning stages and it will boost your progress as you’re continuing in your learning. Here are a few of the ways that mindset does this:
- Allows you to practice when practice doesn’t seem to fit into your schedule
- Makes it more fun.
- Gets you through times of doubt.
- Keeps you connected to your heritage and culture
Follow these 5 of 10 accent reduction mindset tips to enhance your accent training and effectiveness. Your trainer may or may not focus on these mindset tips. Embrace them and own them as yours.
Accent Mindset Tips
- View your interactions as a partnership. If you wait for your communication partner to give you signs that he or she is not understanding, you may not get those signs. Consequently, you may not be able to identify and subsequently repair communication breakdown.
- Realize that your communication partner most likely will not tell you that they are having trouble understanding you. Many people are uncomfortable directly stating that they are having trouble communicating with someone. Instead, watch the nonverbal signs that may indicate that your communication partner has experienced comprehension breakdown.
- Embrace the fact that it takes a lot of courage to speak a non-native language. Celebrate your courage when you feel doubtful about your communication skills.
- Extend yourself patience with the skills you’re learning for speaking in your American English accent. It takes time, effort, practice, and more practice.
- When you’re contemplating investing the time into practicing your accent techniques, remember that in the long run, you will see the payoff. You won’t have to repeat yourself as frequently.
Many students of accent reduction learn effective techniques. However, they encounter problems when their mindset is not supportive to the overall accent reduction journey. By following these mindset tips, you will maximize the effectiveness of the accent techniques you learned in your program.
To your accent reduction mindset,